TT launches innovative initiatives for its customers
10 Years of History
The Telecommunications operator for Landline and mobile Network of Timor-Leste emerged almost from scratch after nearly 75% of infrastructure were destroyed in September 1999, after the announcement of the results of the popular consultation that gave legitimacy to the will of the Timorese people to become a free and independent country. In 2001, still under the auspices of UNTAET (UN administration), it launched an international tender for the construction of a Telecommunications system for Timor-Leste under BOT (Build, Operate, Transfer). In July 2002, the Timor Telecom consortium (promoted by Portugal Telecom) won the bid, and signed the respective Concession Agreement between Timor Telecom and the State of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste. On 17th of October the Timor Telecom consortium become officially as Timor Telecom, SA - First Corporation to be formed in the country. On 1st of March 2003, Timor Telecom starts its operations (Dili Los Palos, Baucau and Oecusse).
After 10 years, Timor Telecom is a dynamic and solid company that has surpassed various challenges and that has always accompanied the Timorese people on its way from the Restoration of Independence.
Many were the events that marked the history of Timor Telecom. In a brief summary may be listed the 10 major chronological events that consolidated the path of TT for a prosperous future and the desire to do more and better.
Investment in information society in TL:
- On 17th of October 2002, after the signing of the Concession Contract between the Timor Telecom and the state of RDTL and concluded in July 2002, Timor Telecom is born as the first public limited company and operator of Telecommunications in Timor-Leste.
- On 1st of March 2003, TT starts operating in Timor-Leste with its first own network and country code (+670).
- In 2004 it inaugurated the telecommunications network in the island of Atauro.
- 2005 - Opening the stores in Maliana, Suai and Oecusse.
- In 2006 about 50 thousand customers already had access to the mobile service. Also the first phonebook in the country was published.
- In 2007 it launched the voice mail service and publication of Yellow Pages TL.
- In 2008, TT has reached 125 000 customers of the mobile network and at the end of the year, the first recharge card of $ 1USD.
- In 2009 it launched the Internet broadband service and Net Bot comes the new switch and intelligent network platform to telecommunications service in Timor-Leste.
- 2010 saw the launch of the new logo (Toke), the launch of the portal SAPO TL and even the emergence of fiber optic network in the city of Dili.
- In 2011 the hundredth BTS site service or service from the mobile network.
- 2012 signed the agreement between the State of Timor-Leste and Timor Telecom for the early termination of the concession contract signed in 2002.
Since its birth, the TT has invested about USD 103 million for the development of telecommunications infrastructure, having demonstrated over these 10 years that it is at the forefront of technologies, adapting them to the needs of its customers. All this effort is reflected quantitatively using the following numbers:
Highly qualified Human Resources:
- Number of customers - 632,500 mobile network and internet
- Coverage of the population - about 92% coverage with mobile network and internet
- Number of sites operating in 2G and 3G - 139 (2G) and 64 (3G)
- JRC's (Internet Community Center) - 29 already installed in partnership with religious institutions, national entrepreneurs, the National Youth Council of Timor-Leste.
- In addition to the CCIs, Timor Telecom, as part of its social responsibility policy, has sponsored free internet in various organizations such as the Presidency of the Republic, the UNTL, UNPAZ, IOB, Department of Youth Catholic from the Dioceses of Dili and Baucau , STAE, CNE, Vocational Training Centre St. Peter Comoro, the Youth Vision Foundation of Timor-Leste and the Ahisaun Foundation and maintains a Cooperation Protocol with the Resistance Museum Archive.
Timor Telecom employs directly 275 workers, indirectly, has more than 1000 persons as service providers in the areas of security, distribution and authorized agents. There is a strong commitment to youth: the average age of direct employees is 35 years. More than 69% of workers in Timor Telecom have a higher academic level. Regarding the remuneration of workers, the TT offers unique career conditions in Timor-Leste, and is considered one of the reference employers in the country, with a strong focus on specialized technical training of its employees and a package of social benefits exemplary in Timor-Leste.
The social commitment in TL:
Timor Telecom is a company committed to the development of society in its various dimensions. As such, Timor Telecom has supported various initiatives such as the publication of books or authors Timorese on East Timor, artistic and cultural activities, sports activities, social activities and humanitarian law, including the Tour de Timor, Festival Ramelau, International Fishing Atauro and, Dili City of Peace Marathon, among others.
Timor Telecom is one of the largest taxpayers in the country:
Since the beginning of its activity Timor Telecom, just in taxes, which have contributed to the state RDTL has raised approximately USD 45 million in taxes. These figures do not include money given to the state by way of dividends, resulting from your participation as a shareholder of Timor Telecom.
With a look in the future:
In celebrating 10 years of history, Timor Telecom has its eyes on the future, in the constant renewal of business and technological innovation to better serve their customers. Thus, under the celebrations of the tenth anniversary of the TT, a series of initiatives was launched in order to offer products and services that meet customer needs:
- Social Action delivery of computers
- Opening of new stores
- Launch of tariff for family
- Launch of tariff for youth
- Even more competitive price for voice calls
- Launch of special conditions for businesses
- Launch of new innovative services
- New Broadband tariff
- Terminal equipment for all
- Special Campaign in the 10 years of TT with attractive prizes